Address: Trubarjeva cesta 80 1000 Ljubljana
Phone: ++ 386 1 230 69 00
Fax: ++ 386 1 230 69 06
The oldest preserved church of Ljubljana, which had also been the seat of the parish, was first mentioned in 1163. It stood outside the town core, above the slope of the Ljubljanica on the east edge. The Romanesque church was thoroughly remade after the Turkish invasion in 1472. Renovations and remaking later followed in each century. Around the church, which was added to several times, was a cemetery with an ossuary.
The present Baroque hall, divided into three naves, stands on the foundations of its predecessor. At the crossing with the transversal nave rises the dome. The building was built in the years 1727-1734, according to the plans of Giovanni Fusconi. The double-tower facade accentuates the church. The building was heavily rebuilt and debased after the earthquake in 1895. At that time Plečnik himself drew the plans for the enclosure by the church. The architect Ivan Vurnik and his wife Helena (mosaics) designed a new wide façade, cleansed of the historical decorations in the thirties. At the entrance a portal with two massive pillars was added.
Several Renaissance figural chiselled tombstones were built in the interior. The sanctuary was painted in the 18th century. The author of the illusionist frescos on the ceiling was Frančišek Jelovšek (1731). He was also the author of the painting of the Holy Family (Sv. Družina), which is displayed in the National Gallery. Several paintings on the side altars are the work of the Baroque artist Valentin Metzinger. The presbytery was painted by Josef Kastner after the earthquake.
The parish sanctuary is arranged and open regularly.