The area along the Brkini Fruit Road has a long and rich tradition of fruit-growing; there are around 120 fruit growers who grow apples, pears, plums, hazelnuts, sour cherries, peaches and cherries in 153 hectares of orchards.
• Accommodation with half-board or lunch/dinner on the following tourist farma: Pri Andrejevih
in Narin near Pivka, Na meji
in Trnje near Pivka, Jenezinovi
in Ratečevo Brdo near Prem, Francin-Volkovi
, Pri Filetu
in Slope near Kozina, Dujčeva domačija
in Škoflje, where you can taste delicious local and regional dishes of the Brkini region; by previous arrangement.
• You can taste chosen regional dishes on the following excursion farms as well: Benčič
in Vareje near Vremski Britof, Pri Damjanu
in Slope near Kozina, Pri Čukovih in Mihele near Kozina, Ivankotovi
in Prem, or in the restaurants Mahorčič
in Rodik and Pod Slavnikom
in Podgorje; by previous arrangement.
• Taste quality beers brewed by local brewers and regional dishes in the following pubs: Mahnič
in Kozina, Flora
in Krvavi Potok and Finida near Obrov.
• You can taste and buy different apple cultivars, apple juice, apple vinegar and apple brandy and visit fruit-growing farms: Pečar in Prešnica near Kozina and Biščak in Buje near Vremski Britof; by previous arrangement.
• You can buy fruit (apples, pears, cherries, plums) on farms around Kozina: Kovačič in Beka near Kozina, Bolčič in Klanec and Pri Damjanu
; by previous arrangement.
• Take the opportunity to taste and buy honey and beekeeping products and to visit the following beekeepers and their beehives: Benčič
, Bogataj and Bolčič; by previous arrangement.
• Visit the old sawmill and the renewed watermill at the Žagar homestead in Buje near Vremski Britof; by previous arrangement.
• Visit the so-called »black kitchen« and the renovated mill on the Novak farm in Topolc near Ilirska Bistrica.
• The area offers numerous hiking possibilities along marked trails: Via Alpina
, Hrpelje-Kozina, European Hiking Trail E6…
• Nature lovers, speleologists and climbers can visit the picturesque Glinščica Valley Landscape Park (in Italian: Val Rosandra); the trail through the valley begins near the villages of Nasirec or Mihele and continues all the way to the spring of the Glinščica River in the village of Dolina (Italian: San Dorligo della Valle) in Italy; you can also visit the valley by bike.
• Hiking on theme trails: Scientific and historic educational trail Hrpelje, TIGR memorial circular trail Ocizla-Beka, Friendship trail Beka-Botač.
• You can also take various cycling tours across the Brkini.
• Visit the church of St. Helen
in Prem and the Church of St. Elijah in Mihele; by previous arrangement.
• Visit the Church of St. Martin in Slivje. This 17th century church boasts beautiful frescoes by the famous Slovenian painter Tone Kralj.
• Visit the Church of the Holy Trinity in the village of Sirec near Kozina.
- Plum Festival in Slivje, third weekend in September
- Chestnut Festival in Rodik, October