Address: Mestni trg 1000 Ljubljana
The Fountain of the Carniolian Rivers, or Robba's Fountain, is the highest quality public stone fountain from the middle of the 18th century from Venice to Vienna. It stands in Ljubljana in front of the Town Hall. Above the stairs is a pool in the shape of a three-leaf clover with a triangle drawn into it. In the middle of the pool there is a three-sided obelisk raised above the stony pedestal. The core is encircled by a ring of symbolic personified sculptures and numerous decorations.
In the second quarter of the 18th century, the citizens of Ljubljana were no longer satisfied with the clumsy Neptune fountain by Janez Khumersteiner, so they ordered a larger fountain from the sculptor Francesco Robba. The artist had finished preparing and carving it by 1752. The three refined figures of Carrarian marble holding barrel vases out of which the water softly flows into the pool probably depict the Krka, Ljubljanica and Sava. The symbolism adopted the similar idea of the old fountain, where the symbols of four rivers were united into one aquatic deity. Robba's figures are made of marble, the obelisk of reddish limestone from Lesno Brdo, and the water basin of greyish limestone.
The fountain is a symbolic ending and accentuation of the main city square and the last larger work of art, constructed according the ideas of Academia Operosorum with direct links with the Roman creations. The sculptures have been repaired several times; the last major renovation was in 1951. The stairs were changed and a vase and volute were added. A replacement of the original has been planned since the 1980s. The slow process of making replicas to replace the damaged originals is still waiting. The originals are severely damaged and endangered.