Address: Koper 6000 Koper
The south edge of medieval Koper houses the first square behind the entrance, Prešeren Square (Prešernov trg). Since 1666 Da Ponte Well has stood on the north side of the square.
His image decorates the symbolic stone three-part balustrade bridge, in memory of the patron, city mayor, and his family name. Below the bridge there is a stone pool, an octagonal water basin. Four pyramids with balls accentuate the decorativeness of the symbolic balustrade. The water trickles into the basin from two pairs of mouthpieces decorated with masques. Double stone masques are fixed by the sides of the pool under the arch of the balustrade. Lower, at the edge of the basin, there are metal carriers for buckets. The water was routed to the well from the mainland, where there was a cistern, and wooden pipes led from it to the city
The pool and the well were secured by fifteen boundary stones positioned in a circle. On the top of them stand stone baskets, pines and balls, and by the sides are the coats-of-arms of secondary donators who paid for the construction of the well. A hanging chain was affixed between the boundary stones so that livestock did not use to be able to come to the well. There are only two accesses to the well, protected by two revolving crosses. Water has been flowing from the mainland since the 14th century.
The locals came to the well for spring water until 1898. Prešeren Square was paved anew in about 1990. At the same time they renovated and restored the severely damaged well.