The little village of Berkovci lies in a peaceful valley by a stream called Ratkovski Potok. It is situated in north-east Slovenia, in the Goričko Nature Park. Nearby, in the village of Prosenjakovci, is the border crossing into Hungary. Country names in the area around the village include Borice, Obervesi, Dužina, Ganica, Pri Jarku, Na Njivi, Mačkova Graba, Trebeza, Gomba, Jamlek, Veliki Travnik, Na Bregu and Gošča. The first mention of the settlement in historical sources dates from between 1300 and 1350. Until 1918 the village was part of Austria-Hungary. Until 1996 the village was among the bilingual villages of the border region and was known as Berkehaza. This name derives from the Hungarian word haz, haza meaning home or house. The chapel in the village has come under the parish of Križevci since 1783. A Protestant chapel was built in the village in 1913 and is today preserved as a cultural monument. The majority of the village population are Protestants. The cemetery to the south of the village, by the edge of the forest, is an interesting village cemetery with old monuments notable for the unusual position of their inscriptions. The cemetery was built here in 1913. The oldest gravestone dates from 1877 and was most probably moved here from an earlier cemetery. The first cemetery was to the north of the village, on the road leading towards the village of Ivanjševci. The cemetery has 51 graves and the inscriptions on all the monuments are on the outer side of the graves. Surrounding the cemetery is a fine natural beech fence. A stream – Ratkovski Potok – flows through the village. Next to it is a conserved natural wetland area in which many unusual plant and animal species may be found. Particularly interesting plants include broadleaf cattail, which only grows in standing water, goat's beard, sneezewort and purple loosestrife. Another special plant growing in the village is the Siberian iris, which mainly grows in unmown meadows. Large patches of blue Siberian irises are visible from far off as little blue islands, since they often grow to a height of over one metre. An inn, the Gostilna Lanšček, opened in the house at number 28 in 1919. In 1923 the business expanded to include a shop and, in 1925, a newsagent's/tobacconist's. All these activities came to an end in 1942. A large number of interesting documents are still conserved in the building. Časar's Mill, built in 1930, stands on the stream. This water mill is registered as a technical monument. It contains all the equipment used for milling and a collection of other interesting artefacts. The mill is today a museum and is open to visitors.