Podsreda was mentioned as a vicariate in the 15th century. In 1765, it became a parish church. The old church of John the Baptist was destroyed in fire. Only the presbytery with ribbed vaults is left, but it was turned into a mortuary and was used until 1871. In the 19th century a new church was built. The interior was made in late baroque with wonderful frescos painted by Tomaž Fantoni between 1877 and 1878. A large altar is a carved product from 1865. Above the altar, there is a painting that depicts baptism in the river Jordan. Lateral tabernacle style altars are from the 19th century. The left altar, which was formerly the main altar, has the statute of the Mother of God on the tabernacle. The statutes of angels are from the Castle Chapel of Pišece. The upper part of the right altar shows a group of Deisis and Magdalene, who kisses the feet of the Crucified. The pulpit from 1834 is the work of Ivan Herman from Graz. The baroque concept organ from 1822 is the work of Jožef Otonič from Maribor.